This news caused a seismic wave through the Evangelical Christian community: https://chvnradio.com/christian-news/the-gospel-is-not-for-sale-benny-hinn-renounces-prosperity-gospel
In short, Benny Hinn, the most famous, or infamous, preacher of prosperity gospel, renounced his own doctrine and said it was wrong for him to declare that “The Gospel (of Jesus Christ) is for sale.” In short this doctrine says salvation, forgiveness, physical health, and financial wealth are guaranteed through “faith”, which worked out to be “send money to my ministry and God will bless you with all of this.” The teaching goes on to say that persecution, illness, suffering and financial problems come from sin, the Devil and a lack of faith in God and His promises. Incalculable damage has been caused to hundreds of thousands of people and a great embarrassment has been caused to Bible teaching churches and pastors because of it.
Benny Hinn has publicly renounced this teaching that he has espoused and promoted for decades all around the world.
My reaction was instantaneous and confusing as two emotions rushed in simultaneously. I rejoiced and felt cynical at the same time. I felt joy that a preacher has publicly renounced a false and destructive teaching that has brought ruin to many lives and horrific embarrassment to Christians. I felt cynicism shouting, “a new marketing technique to get more cash! Show me the REPENTANCE!!!!!!’
Unfortunately, that latter reaction has been pouring out of the internet like a broken sewer pipe. The analogy is fitting.
As a Christian, a church elder and a pastor, I will rebuke myself and others biblically on this matter:
1) “So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart. (2 Timothy 2:22 ESV)” – “Youthful passions” include the tendency to become angry and react immediately to these situations and people in a foolish manner. Flee this reaction. We must pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace TOGETHER with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart. Don’t align yourself and “Like” and “Share” angry, bitter, jealous and vengeance filled posts against Mr. Hinn or any other fallen brother or sister…or anyone for that matter.
2) “Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels. And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting his opponents with gentleness. (2 Timothy 2:23-25a ESV)” Being a keyboard warrior and internet troll means we are breeding and feeding foolish, ignorant controversies, while falling into God-dishonouring quarrels. We must be kind, even when someone refuses to repent (this is patiently enduring evil) and we must correct with gentleness. Let’s encourage Benny Hinn to consider what true repentance looks like, rather than what we would like to see. Frankly, my desire for him to “pay the money back” comes from my personal sense of justice rather than the conviction of the Holy Spirit. Let’s let God the Holy Spirit deal with Mr. Hinn’s conscience.
3) “God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will. (2 Timothy 2:25b-26 ESV)” If we want to “make Hinn repent”, then we place ourselves into God’s role. In other words, we make ourselves God. This is Satan’s desire. Let God save Benny Hinn. Let God bring him to repentance. Let God’s grace do all the work. That is what has happened to us. God still does that work.
In case we have forgotten what God’s Grace in Jesus looks like: “For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another. But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life. (Titus 3:3-7, ESV)
1) The next time a repentant sinner comes into our circle or congregations, let’s not ask what Jesus would do, let’s do what Jesus Christ COMMANDED. (See above points and scriptures)
2) PRAY – pray that you yourself will not fall into sinful thinking, speaking and typing. Pray for your fellow church members that they will not fall into error. Pray for those who have fallen into error, that God would save them from their errors and protect those in their audience. Pray for those who come and say they are repenting.
3) Teach, rebuke, correct and encourage from the Bible with all patience and gentleness, in complete submission to the Holy Spirit.
Dear Brother Hinn:
You have publicly declared that you renounce the prosperity gospel. I thank God for this and for giving you the courage to come out and say this. I pray that this truth will stay in your heart and mind forever.
I confess that I have insulted you and become angry with you in a selfish way. I confess that my attitude and words were sinful, they dishonored Jesus Christ, His Church and you, who are created in God’s image, are loved by God and for whom Jesus Christ died. I do not have that right. Please forgive me.
As a fellow pastor and follower of Jesus, I would ask you to consider stepping down for a time from your ministry and work. I would encourage you to do like Paul and spend time away, learning and growing in Christ and The Word of God. Please join a Bible teaching church, submit to the elders and pastors, sharpen and be sharpened by other godly men. Learn the true Gospel and how to be a Shepherd like our Lord Jesus Christ. Then, as the Holy Spirit guides, go into all the world and preach the gospel, making disciples of every nation, baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son and Holy Spirit and teach them to obey all these things which Jesus Christ has taught us.
I humbly offer to help if God leads you this way.
Pastor Brad Quiring
Final words (I AM a preacher, you know)
1) If I have hurt any through my own immaturity leading to improper conduct, teaching, doctrine or lifestyle, please contact me that this might be rectified.
2) I would love to hear your comments, with some very clear guidelines:
- I do not support prosperity gospel or those who teach it. In this blog and all other communications I have never supported it. In fact I speak out against it. If you feel this blog was a support of a false teaching, it is not. Do not waste my time, your time or the other readers’ time by making false personal accusations because you are unwilling to read and too lazy to consider what I am saying in this message. I will delete your comment as a rebuke for your selfishness, lying and slander, all things against which the wrath of God has been revealed.
- If Mr. Hinn’s declaration turns out to be false, I will be saddened but I will not rejoice that he has been “outed”. The word, “IF” is conditional, not certain. Do not assume in your comments that he will fall back.
- DO NOT NAME NAMES OF OR CRITIQUE OTHER PROSPERITY TEACHERS IN YOUR COMMENTS! This includes those teachers who you believe are prosperity gospel teachers because you disagree with one or two points of their interpretation of secondary doctrines.
May God richly bless you through His Son, His Word, and the Holy Spirit.